They're a classic brownie recipe baked up as mini-muffin-shaped bites. While the brownies are still a bit warm, you use the handle end of a wooden spoon to poke a small hollow into the center of each brownie.
Let the brownies cool completely and then pipe a smooth chocolate cream filling into the hollows.
Top with maraschino cherries that have their stem attached ... so cute!
Pull out all the stops and drizzle those babies with a maraschino juice, kirschwasser, and confectioner's sugar glaze.
And there you have it ... yummy little bonbons for a lovely little reception. A little bit of sweetness and bad chemicals without too much guilt.
a recipe from Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Cookies
2 jars maraschino cherries with stems (10-oz jars)
kirschwasser (for soaking the cherries) - optional
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
¾ stick butter
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour
Chocolate Fudge Filling (recipe follows)
½ c. confectioner’s sugar
Making the Bonbons:
1. Pre heat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and zap on ‘HIGH’ for 2 minutes, stirring after one minute and again after another 30 seconds. When the butter is completely melted, remove from microwave and stir until the chocolate is also melted.
3. Add the sugar and stir well.
4. Mix in eggs and vanilla until well-blended.
5. Stir in flour.
6. Spray mini-muffin pans with Pam spray or grease them well.
7. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until the center poked with a toothpick comes out with fudgy crumbs. Do not over bake.
9. Let the brownies cool for a few minutes in the pan. Then, run a knofe tip around the edges and gently turn out of the pan to a parchment paper work surface.
10. Make a ½ inch indentation in the center of each brownie and let them finish cooling.
11. Make the chocolate fudge filling. Drain the cherries, reserving the juice from the jars. Let the cherries dry a bit on paper towel-lined plates.
12. Combine the powdered sugar with enough of the cherry juice to make a thin glaze.
13. Spoon or pipe about a teaspoonful of fudge filling into each brownie’s indentation.
14. Gently press a cherry into the top of each filling mound.
15. Drizzle with a bit of the cherry glaze made with the 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar, a bit of the maraschino cherry juice, and some kirschwasser.
Makes: 40 bonbons
Chocolate Fudge Filling
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ c. corn syrup
3 squares unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
1 c. confectioner’s sugar
Making the Filling:
1. Whip the cream cheese, vanilla, and corn syrup together until well-blended.
2. Add the cooled chocolate and beat until smooth.
3. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar beating until smooth and silky.
4. Place in a small plastic bag with the corner nipped off and pipe into the brownies’ centers.
Make: about 1 cup