I hope you, dear readers, are having a great day ... take time for a cuppa Joe and a sweet something! Life's too short to stress the entire day long!
1 c. flour
½ c. whole wheat flour
1 c. old-fashioned oats
½ c. sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar (optional)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 c. whole milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp. cinnamon
Making the Muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F and line 15 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix the 2 tbsp. sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of nutmeg with a fork. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, and sugar.
4. Melt the butter in a large measuring cup and whisk in the milk, vanilla, and beaten egg.
5. Add all at once and stir quickly into the dry mix. Don't overmix or the muffins will be tough.
6. Fill muffin cups ⅔ full and sprinkle some of the reserved sugar and spice mix on top of each.
7. Set the muffins aside for 10 minutes so that the oats soak up the moisture of the batter abit and so that the sugar topping soaks into the tops of the muffins.
8. Bake for 14 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes clean.
9. Serve warm with soft butter for dotting the muffins. Store in a tight container no longer than one day.