Everything is about apples in the house right now. This weekend there was a special presentation by nurserymen and vintners at the local orchard. SB and I went over to learn a bit about the heritage apples that are being picked this month ... we ended up coming away with four heritage types and a huge bag of Macouns. I loved the names - Espolou, Roxbury Russets, Hudson's Golden Gem, and Baldwin. The minute we got home, I chose Baldwin, Hudson's Golden Gem, and Macoun to make two sour cream apple pies. One pie went to church this morning and one pie is warming in my oven for dessert.
This pie is a one crust pie with a crumble topping. The apples are chunked and mixed with a sour cream and egg batter that makes for a custard-type filling with the softly spiced apples throughout. Very moist and gooey ... it was delicious with warm mulled cider! It is a sweet treat, to be sure! Perfect for this time of year!
Sour Cream Apple Pie
1 c. sour cream
1 c. sugar
6 tbsp. flour, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. cardamom
⅛ tsp. cinnamon
3 c. chopped peeled apples
1 unbaked pie shell in a 9-inch pie plate
3 tbsp. butter, melted
⅓ c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
Making the Pie:
Pre-heat oven to 375°F and move an oven rack to the center level of the oven.
1. Beat the eggs and sour cream together in a bowl.
2. Add the sugar, salt, 2 tbsp. of the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Fold in the chopped apples.
4. Roll out your favorite pastry dough and place in a 9- inch pie plate. Crimp the edges of the crust.
5. Pour the apple filling into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile mix the other 4 tbsp. flour, brown sugar, and butter to make a crumble topping.
7. When the pie has baked for the first 15 minutes, remove from the oven and quickly sprinkle the crumble topping over the top of the apple custard layer.
8. Return the pie to the oven for another 25 minutes of baking or until the pie is golden and crunchy crumbly on top and the filling has set.
9. Cool on a wire rack and serve just warm or chilled.