Just a fast fly by post today ... it's been a busy couple of days all around between gardening, errands, some housework, and life. You know! You have your busy days too! So what do you make when you've been straight out, the fridge door is wagging, and your hunger is staring you in the face at the end of the day?
An easy roasted chicken and this salad did it for me last evening. I was initially suspicious of the combination of oranges, avocado, onion, and the French dressing, so I made small salads. We were pleasantly surprised though! The avocados were perfectly ripened and so smooth and silky and the citrus packed a sweet hit ... I used Bibb lettuce because we love the buttery softness of the flavour.
Orange Salad for Two
½ a head of Bibb lettuce, washed and spun out
¼ c. chopped purple onion
1 large orange, peeled and all pith removed, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 small avocado, cut into bite-sized cubes
Salt and black pepper
¼ c. olive oil
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1 small shallot, peeled and slit open but left whole
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed open
1½ tbsp ketchup
½ tsp. sugar
1½ tsp. dry mustard
A couple drops of Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp. hot chili sauce
A sprig each tarragon, parsley, thyme left whole but pinched between your fingers to release the essence
To Make the Salad:
- Place the dressing ingredients in a tight-lidded jar and shake to combine the liquids and release the herb and spice flavours. Let the dressing rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Strain the dressing through a slotted spoon to remove the herbs, onion and garlic pieces.
- Place the prepared onions and oranges in a bowl and pour 2 tbsp. of the French dressing over top. Stir to coat the fruit and veg and let this mixture sit for a bit while you prepare the salad plates and cut the avocado.
- Tear the Bibb lettuce into bite-sized pieces and arrange on a salad plate.
- Just before serving, cut the avocado and stir it into the orange and onion mix.
- Arrange a mound of the mix on top of the lettuce and serve with more French dressing on the side.