I loved the light on those red kidney beans when I dumped them in with the jasmine rice. What can I say? Added spices and diced vegetables to the mix and we had us a big old bowl of spicy red beans and rice the other evening. Our neighbors made shrimp tacos, margaritas, and a hot cheesy salsa dip to start things out. And then? We whiled the evening away on their deck sipping drinks and Coronas and knoshing the best Tex-Mex meal ! There is NOTHING like having good neighbors ... just sayin'.
Jazzed Red Beans and Rice
1 c. dry jasmine rice, washed and steamed
1- 15 oz. can small red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 medium-sized purple onion, small dice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium sized sweet red pepper, small dice
1 small serrano chili, minced (you can take the veins and seeds out to lessen the heat)
1 c. frozen corn or 2 ears fresh corn, cut from the cob
1/2 c. medium spiced salsa (you can use tomato paste, but salsa's better)
2 green onions, whites and green stems, thinly sliced
8 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved, seeded, and chopped
juice of 1 lime
about 1 tsp. ground cumin
about 1/2 tsp. chili powder
about 1/4 tsp. black pepper
kosher salt, to taste
Making the Dish:
1. Rinse the rice well and steam it. When it is done, take it from the heat, add just a splash of water, and let it cool and 'dry' a bit before tossing it with a fork. Set it aside.
2. Drain and rinse the beans and set them aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large deep fry pan. Add the onions, garlic, and peppers and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Let the spices cook for about 30 seconds to release their oils.
4. Add the rice, beans, and corn and gently toss to incorporate the spices and peppers and onions.
5. Add the salsa and mix well. Cover and get everything hot, but don't overcook or the rice will go to mush. Taste for spices and add more at this point if you want more spice.
6. Toss in the green onions, the chopped tomatoes, lime juice and toss lightly. Add kosher salt to taste.
7. Serve hot from the stove. If you must reheat, put the rice in your serving bowl and whiz it in the microwave to heat it.
Mmmmmm! Red beans and rice!