01 February 2011

Imitation As the Sincerest Form of Flattery ...


This food blogging thing has become such a far-reaching project that I am sometimes overwhelmed with the scope and levels of cooking ability that are out there in the culinary world! I come away from each day  of surfing the blogs with a few recipes that I really want to make for my family, a few that inspire me to adapt to my food tastes, and more than a few that astound me in their beauty and intricacy ... like the latest Daring Bakers' challenge. I can't even wrap my brain around the process of making Mousse Entremets with all its intricacies! I loved reading about the process and the thought that various bloggers put into the creative process and I loved oogling their food photography, but I set those posts aside as 'works of art' - not necessarily anything to aspire to, but posts to admire and honor.

When all is said and done, I always move back toward the more homey and simple foods - the ones toward which Silent Bob and I gravitate. Those are the foods that inspired me to begin blogging. We love rustic stews and spicy treatments for vegetables, crunchy cookies and sweet muffins, classic cakes and homey breads ... I have shared many of the recipes from our family cookbook and many that I've come across in my collection of cookbooks. Of late, I have begun going through my on-line list of  'must try recipes'. I hope folks on blogs don't get offended if I post their link and recipe with my take on it ... I mean these posts as a compliment to them. Those of you reading this post who know me and get frequent comments from me, be forewarned - my imitation of your recipe is my most sincere form of flattery. Thanks for posting such wonderful dishes!

'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'  - Charles Caleb Colton

6 comments:

  1. Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I also think keeping food simple and comforting is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. should we be worried?... i say go ahead and steal what you like... that's the point of cooking... for me it's about passing on what i love... from generation to generation, from friend to friend... changed and tweaked slightly along the way to suit your tastes... that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dom. If you need to make a few tweaks to suit your taste. All the better. That's why cooking is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homey recipes are the best kind! And taking a recipe and making it your own is what it's all about! I know when I make something, I always look around to see what other people have done to change it up and make it even better ;-)

    P.S. Obstwasser is proving to be darned near impossible to come by in Holland, at least in mini bottles. I could only find a large bottle in one store and they told me that it wasn't common here. I can find German Kirschwasser and French Calvados in mini bottles though. Would either of those interest you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of the fun of blogging for me is to see how recipes vary and morph from one blogger to another. I hope as you make some of those recipes, you will come over and link up to my Monday "your recipe, my kitchen" party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you will return.you also have some yummy things i am interested in :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.