Gribiche is a French concoction made with cold eggs, capers, herbs, shallots, pickled cucumbers, and an egg yolk/oil/mustard emulsion ... like mayonaisse. It is traditionally served with boiled meats, but in this case, goes over hot roasted vegetables. Think egg salad meets potato salad ... kinda sorta. That Heidi Swanson sure had a good idea!
a Heidi Swanson recipe
Roasted Vegetables Ingredients:
¾ lb. very small new potatoes, washed and skins on
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided evenly
Kosher salt for sprinkling
8 oz. bite-sized broccoli florets, washed and drained well
½ small purple onion, thinly sliced into half-moons
Egg Salad Ingredients:
3 large eggs, hard-boiled, and cooled
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
¼ c. olive oil
2 tsp. capers, chopped
1 shallot, minced
2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp. fresh chives, fined snipped
2 tsp. fresh tarragon, finely chopped
Roasting the Vegetables:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Toss the prepared potatoes with 1 tbsp. of the olive oil and plop them on a roasting pan. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and roast for about 15 minutes.
2. After the potatoes have been roasting for 15 minutes, toss the broccoli florets and purple onions with the other 1 tbsp. olive oil and a bit of Kosher salt.
3. Shake the roasting potatoes to make room on the pan and plop the broccoli and onions into the spaces between the potatoes.
4. Return to the oven and roast until the broccoli is tender and a bit charred.- about 15 to 20 minutes.
Making the Gribiche Sauce:
1. Boil the eggs for seven minutes, remove from the heat, drain, shake the pan to break the shells and run ice cold water over top. Let the eggs chill, adding fresh ice and water when the need is there.
2. Peel the eggs and place them in a bowl. Remove one of the egg yolks and place it in the container of a hand blender. Coarsely chop the rest of the eggs and set them aside (in the fridge).
3. Drizzle the ¼ c. olive oil into the hand blender container with the egg yolk, while whizzing, to create a smooth golden emulsion.
4. Add the red wine vinegar and the
mustard and continue whizzing to make a smooth dressing. Dijon
5. Add ½ of the minced shallot and whiz to completely incorporate it into the sauce.
6. Turn the sauce into the eggs and toss in the capers herbs, and the rest of the shallots.
Plating the Dish:
Turn the roasted vegetables onto a pretty rimmed platter or shallow pasta bowl. Turn the Gribiche Sauce over top. Grate some fresh black pepper over all and serve with crusty bread slices, perfect black olives, and a rich glass of wine.