06 July 2011

Hot Day, Cool Pie!

Okay, folks! The heat is on, so I'm all about a cool dessert. I was cruising the food blogs over morning coffee yesterday and found Tammy's recipe for Peanut Butter Pie on her blog Food On Food. You MUST visit her site. Not only is she hysterically funny and fun, but she posts some damn good recipes.



After the cool morning and my morning coffee and computer play, the sun really beat down on the grey cottage. I puttered around in the gardens for part of the day and sat and read a book in the shade when it got to be too hot for working and weeding.



By the end of the day, I was all about simple roasted chicken, a cool spinach and mesclun salad with peaches, blueberries, and a spicy peach jam and rice wine dressing, and leftover dilly mac salad. My son, Eric came to dinner and since he loves cold  'pudding pies', I made Tammy's recipe for him. Let's just say he was one happy camper by the time he rolled away from the table. At the end of the evening, he took the slab I'd set aside for his room mate, but I'm really wondering if the room mate will ever see that pie.

We all exclaimed how light and fluffy the peanut butter mousse-like filling is in this pie.




The crust is noteworthy also. It has ground peanuts and graham cracker crumbs mixed with melted butter ... no added sugar.



The sweet element to the dessert comes by way of the bittersweet chocolate drizzle that is added just before serving the slices. So decadent and delicious!




I'm providing the link to Tammy's recipe, but do look at the rest of her site, too! You'll have great fun!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you enjoyed Pie day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh... light and fluffy peanut butter mousse... could there be any fairer words... oh yes... 'and i'm sending this to Dom in the UK 'cos I love him' could be slightly sweeter... I love that big old rusty wheel too... very rustic chic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic pie! Peanut buttery mousse like filling?! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for the fantastic writeup, Susan! Your photo is gorgeous. So glad everyone liked the pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That peanut buttery mousse hasme salivation. Bad Susan! Some of us are trying so hard to lose those extra 2 lbs from the July 4th weekend :)

    BTW, stop by will ya :)

    chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pie looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. god that sounds good. Cold pies like this aren't so popular in Australia. You hardly ever see them out and about. I'm going to start a revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peanut butter fillings! Yum!! Wish I had this cool pie two weeks ago when it was 30 degrees C outside!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.