25 November 2013

White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries and Macadamia Nuts - Make A Bid!







I collect cookie jars and I bake cookies. There is usually a new batch made every weekend. It's one of the routines in my little grey cottage here in New Hampshire. As the seasons change, the cookie jars rotate their way from the collection shelf to the kitchen island and I fall in love all over again with my kitschy treasures.  I love each and every one that I've found over the years, but I am willing to hand one off to a friend or loved one, when it's just the right time.  And today ... November 25th is the right day. 

But first, a few words about this week's batch of cookies!




Whether you love the cookie dough right out of the bowl or you wait for the soft chew of a baked 'chip' cookie, I can tell you that this cookie batter recipe is a hands down winner.  This is a basic tollhouse cookie dough batter that has a combination of butter and margarine. I truly believe that the margarine keeps the dough from spreading out flat on the cookie sheet. The cookies have a bit of loft, which I like. And we all know the rule about the chef winning out on the final product, right?




This particular batch has chopped dried cherries, macadamia nut chunks, and white chocolate chips folded into the cookie dough, but the options are limited only by your imagination or what's in your larder when you take it in mind to chomp on some cookies. I love these cookies so much that I have decided to bake them for an on-line bake sale that kicks off today ... a winning bid on these cookies gets you two and a half dozen cookies wrapped and packed snugly, a copy of the recipe, and a vintage pottery cookie jar  ... the shiniest and campiest strawberry cookie jar that you ever will see ... a cookie jar that would be right at home in your retro kitchen ...







BUT ... about this bake sale ! This sale is being organized as a fund raising effort to help the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. As we have all seen, the Philippines have been devastated by a direct hit from that super storm. Tina Flores-De Guzman felt compelled to organize the bake sale in an effort to help, through the Philippine relief agency, Sagip Kapamilya. A winning bid on any of the items in the bake sale will be sent directly to the agency and upon, Tina receiving a confirmation of receipt, the baking volunteer (that would be me and others) will be notified and we will get busy baking, packing and sending your sweet treat right off to you! So get busy looking over the items that are up for bid ...

You know? I can't think of a cozier feeling than settling down in my favorite chair with a glass of milk, a stack of good cookies and a magazine or good book.  It's a completely homey experience. I can't imagine the pain that many of our neighbors in the Philippines are going through as they try to piece together their lives after having their homes and neighborhoods destroyed. Trying to help them is a good thing; I hope you'll consider getting involved in the relief efforts.

Links to the bake sale are here  .... Pinay in Texas Check out the goods and make a bid! Thanks, friends!

7 comments:

  1. My husband would really love these Sue. Have a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macadamia Nuts are awesome I ready to eat forever........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Do you have snow? On the national news it looks really bad (snowy) over your way. Stay warm and have a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look wonderful! I can't wait to mix up a batch. They will be perfect for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!! These look amazing! I've been a fan of yours for years and these are just a perfect example of your talent. Thank you for sharing these!
    Candy Shapes Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great cookies - I love the flavor combination - and what a very worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for contributing to this worthy cause Susan. These cookies are one of definite favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.