Nothing smacks of Down South snackin' like a bowl of pimento cheese and a sleeve of crackers !
I thought I had posted this basic recipe in the past on The Spice Garden, but when I went looking for the recipe today in the labels, it was nowhere to be found. Hmmmmm.
Anyway, here it is and I have made this batch to take to my book group's discussion of Where the Crawdads Sing. What a great read! Can't wait to yak it up with my Fitzwilliam friends and crunch some Ritz crackers and pimento cheese! Here's how to make it - super simple !
Makes about 3 cups
1 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1- 4 oz. jar chopped pimentos, well drained and chopped further
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Making the Snack:
1. Grate the cheese and set it aside in a deep bowl.
2. Measure the rest of the ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork to start breaking down the spices a bit in the mayo.
3. Using two forks, toss the cheese with the mayo mixture until well incorporated.
4. Turn the pimento cheese into a bowl, sprinkle with some paprika for garnish and refrigerate for a bit to set the cheese a bit.
5. Serve with crackers, make pimento cheese sandwiches, or dollop atop warm baguette toasts.