Slurp ... Crunch !!!
Caramelized Pork Mince Noodle Bowl
Serves: 3 or 4
1 and 1/4 lb. ground pork
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (more if you like wise guy heat in your dish)
1 medium onion, small dice
2 tbsp. peanut oil
5 tbsp. brown sugar
2 generous tbsp. fish oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated into long strips
1/3 hothouse seedless cucumber, washed and grated into long strips
2 green Serrano chilis, washed and cut into very thin coins
3 scallions, washed and tipped - cut into thin coins
1 package Chinese noodles, cooked to al dente and tossed with a splash of sesame oil
Making the Dish:
1. Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir-fry for thirty seconds or so.
4. Add the onion and stir fry until the onion is glistening and softened.
5. Add the ground ginger and stir to disperse the ginger without any lumps.
6. Add the pork and stir fry, breaking the pork into small clumps. Cook until there are no pink clumps.
7. Add the brown sugar and fish oil and stir to break up the sugar and disperse the sugar and fish oil.
8. Flatten the pork out over the bottom of the pan and let it cook over the medium high heat without disturbing it for about two minutes. The meat juices will bubble away and the sugar and oil will start to glisten and caramelize. You want this !
9. Flip the pork and flatten it out again and repeat. Repeat this step for two or three more times, until all the pork is crisping up and shiny, sweet with caramelized coating. Remove from the heat and keep warm (covered). Note: You can make the pork earlier in the day and warm it up just before dinner. Be warned, it will get spicier, as it sits.
10. Meanwhile, cook the noodles and drain. Toss with the sesame oil and place in deep serving bowls. They should be hot and steamy when you serve this dish.
11. Mound the warm meat over top the noodles. Place the prepped cool, crunchy vegetables around the sides of the bowl and serve while the noodles and pork are hot. Serrano chilis are hot, so go easy at first. You can always add more !
12. Enjoy !
Sooo Good !!!