11 October 2024

Coffee Spices ... Something to Try !



 Coffee starts my day. Every day. There is a limit, though, on my coffee intake. I'm a one cuppa girl. Anymore and I begin having shakes and jiggles. My nerves can't handle too much of a caffeine jolt. So, one cup and into the suds to clean the mug for tomorrow !



These spices have become a part of my morning routine, as I make my coffee. I have a Keurig-style Bunn single cup coffeemaker that I use at home and an Aeropress single cup contraption that I use when I'm off RVing. I add the spice measure to the coffee and pour over the boiling water. It brews and drips slowly until I press it or until the Bunn pressures the grounds and spices. I end up with a spicy cuppa that gets sweetened with some Stevia and lightened up with half & half. Ahhh ! Nectar of the gods !

But why these spices, you ask ? Well, they are typical anti-inflammatory spices that seem to be helping a neuropathy condition in my feet that has been developing over the past couple years. I have had a pretty consistent problem with 'pins and needles' and sometimes, sharp twings in my feet at night. The sensations can bring me out of a sound sleep and wreck the rest of the night for me. Insomnia is a real nuisance !

I was doing some reading on anti-inflammatory strategies and this spice combo came across my screen. Some people add the half teaspoon measure to warm milk before bedtime. Some add it to their coffee or tea.  I've been using the coffee strategy for several months and it seems to be lessening the effects of neuropathy in my feet. 

If you have an issue with inflammation or neuropathy, give it a try and see what you think. The recipe is in the photo, but I'll include it below for those with trouble seeing my printing. Make this in small batches so that you get the full effect of the spices. Use it up and make some more ... easy peasey.

Coffee Spices

 Mix in a small jar that has a tight-fitting cover:

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. turmeric

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

Store the jar in a dry, dark place. Use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. per cup of coffee, warm milk, or tea. Let the spices steep in the hot mixture for a few minutes before drinking.

NOTE: Some folks add the spices to the beverage after it has steeped or been warmed. In that case, stir the spices up into the beverage while you're drinking it. It lends a deeper flavor, but also seems gritty to me. I don't care for the grittiness, so I brew the spices with the coffee grounds and still get a strong spiciness without the grit. Do what you wish, just give the spices time to infuse into the drink.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.