So ... I promise not to crab about my February Funk again ... I'm coming along nicely toward a full recovery. Thank you for asking. These sunny little cookies have been providing a bit of therapy.
We had a lovely snow storm over the weekend that cheered me immensely ... no more greys and browns ... only brilliant whites and more snow showers for the next couple days. Now THAT'S more like it, I say. If it must be winter then let's go for the beauty. It IS still cold and raw though, so my mind continues to turn toward warm sunshine and the days when ice cream treats and a dip in the lake will be nice cooling factors in our days.
There's plenty of time before those days, though! To boot, Valentine's Day is right around the corner and today, my mind turned towards a nice little cookie for my sweetheart. I'm hoping that all of you, dear readers, have had the pleasure of knoshing the Hood Creamsicle . If you haven't, think vanilla ice cream wrapped in a soft orange coating of citrus softness. It's a delight from summer days in my childhood neighborhood, listening for the ice cream truck's canned music and ringing bell. All this dreaming about warm sunshine and shorts and sandals had me thinking about making a cookie that might play on that theme ...
Sprout Sara gave us some candied grapefruit peel as a Christmas gift and there was about a half cup's worth in a small bag in the pantry. Candied citrus, a nice blood orange, and several drops of orange extract all helped to turn a basic chocolate chip cookie dough base into an orange-flavored cookie. Subbing the white chips for the dark chocolate made for a really nice result ... yes, a small ode to the Creamsicle!
Happy Valentine's Day to my own sweet Cookie Monster and to all my Little Cookie Crumbs! SB, we may be approaching 'Old Cootdom', but you still make me feel young at heart! So, let others eat their dark chocolate bonbons and go out for their expensive restaurant meals! Let's you and I just hang out on the couch with a plate of these cookies and a glass of milk! Oh, and we can plug in 'The Princess Bride'! What say you?
As for you Little Crumbs, it's time for a new family picture! What say YOU !!??? XXXOOO Make cookies, kiddos and enjoy your Valentine's Day ... within reason! Wink!
Candied Citrus Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
Makes 3 dozen cookies
2 ½ c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
½ c. unsalted butter
½ c. margarine (yes – no substitutes)
½ c. sugar
½ c. packed light brown sugar
5 -7 drops orange extract
Zest and juice from one orange
1 large egg
1 – 12 oz. bag white chocolate chips
½ c. chopped candied orange or other citrus peel
Making the Cookies:
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set it aside.
- Combine the butter, margarine, and sugars in a deep mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Add the drops of orange extract and the egg and beat until completely mixed.
- Add the zest and orange juice and blend in again until completely smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and mix by hand until a stiff dough is formed.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and candied citrus peel.
- Drop by generous teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for ten minutes or until the cookies begin to get a bit gold on top and around the edges.
- Let cool for one minute on the cookie sheets before removing the cookies and cooling them on racks or foil.
- Store in a covered container.