Illustration from Cinderella - Charles Perrault
While others may be listing their New Years resolutions, I have been pondering the evolution of cooking and kitchenware. I got this book for Christmas and have been so engrossed in reading it! Last evening over dinner, Silent Bob and I were talking about all the incredibly important kitchen inventions that have made life easier and more efficient for cooks and chefs world-wide ... and safer for everyone who eats. I kiddingly said we should make a Top Twenty list, so we started one ... please add your thoughts in the 'comments' section. Oh, and know that these are not in any order of import ... just as we thought of them.
So, here we go ...
1. Stove (in all its manifestations) - Making the move from the fireplace must have been earth-shattering for cooks of the nineteenth century!
2. Wire whisk - This girl can't imagine trying to make meringue without one!
3. Tempered steel knives - They sure beat rocks and lesser metals!
4. Non-stick cookware - Oh man, do I love my non-stick wok and fry pans!
5. Dishwasher - I still remember getting my first dishwasher and feeling like I'd hit Lotto! The time for clean-up was SOOOO drastically reduced!
6. Standard measuring utensils - As a cook who wants to pass on recipes, I want them to come out for others as they come out for me ... these tools sure help in that department!
7. Mesh strainers - These sure beat using cheesecloth, which is a b*^#! to clean!
8. Microplane - I don't know what I ever did without the one I have! Thank-you, Sprout Kate!
9. Silicone spatulas - No more degenerating spatulas because you forgot and stirred the tomato sauce or custard with your cheap rubber spatulas!
10. Tupperware (in all its manifestations) - Thank-you, Mr or Mrs. Tupper for figuring out nesting leftover keepers!
11. Cherry/olive pitting tools - Nothing says, 'Tedium' like making a cherry pie without one of these little tools! The world is a better place because of them ... and my shirts and fingers have been saved those stains!
12. Ziploc bags - Everything is easier with these bags in your drawer! Marinating, tenderizing meat, saving leftovers, storing bug-prone staples ... life is easier with Ziploc!
13. Rings/lids/and jars - Canning equipment sure makes saving and storing food safely a cinch ... and no more dealing with melting wax for sealing!
14. Refrigerators - Having an icebox, fridge, whatever right in the kitchen sure makes life easier for storage and food safety!
15. Pastry bags with attachments - Pretty food is just such an aesthetic joy!
16. 17. 18. 19. 20 .... and here is where we stopped ... so what do YOU think? We await your comments so that we can argue over them a bit (rather, have scintillating dinner conversation over their merits!).
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Pssst! One year ago today : A Treat ...