28 May 2010

New Spring Greens! Salad For Supper ...


The first greens came in today from the backyard garden and I'm thrilled that we will be having simple supper ... salad, bread and olives, and red wine. It's so easy and so satisfying to bring in a colander full of snipped baby mesclune mix. I've left it to sit on the counter after washing so I don't bruise the little leaves to much when I spin them out and nip some of the longer stems ...

I know I sound a bit like the Wicked Witch of the West when I say 'these things must be done delicately', but I just love the first burst of peppery scent and flavor when you crunch into the little leaves. I have some cannelini beans, some slivers of pepper crusted dry salami, and a purple onion that I'll toss in with the greens. I think I'll top it with some shavings of Parmesan cheese and toss just a bit of olive oil and a few drops of balsamic vinegar that I'll whisk up with the first snips of oregano from the herb garden.

Hmmm ... nothing finer for this evening! Hope your gardens are coming along too! If not, head to the farmer's market this weekend and see about some fresh greens for your own salad concoction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.