21 May 2010

The Quickest Dessert I've Made In Ages ... Bread Pudding.










We had more friends in for dinner last evening. Man, have we been entertaining a lot lately! Anyway, as I was putting finishing touches on the table and opening wine, SB asked me, "Hey, what's for dessert?" Ummm... I hadn't planned anything ... pause ...I looked at him like a deer in the proverbial headlights. Meanwhile, my mind was reeling through the mental rolodex of fast recipes and cross referencing what ingredients I had in the pantry. "I don't know", I muttered, moving off in the direction of the kitchen.

Solution? Bread pudding ... this is THE easiest dessert you can make. I had ciabatta rolls which were perfect for soaking up the egg and milk. You could use day-old bread, French bread, or the heels from loaves that are hanging around. I used currants because I don't like how big and bulbous (I love that word!)  raisins get when they absorb liquid. I added spiced rum (Captain Morgan ... aaarrgh!) and used brown sugar in the egg and milk mixture to jazz the whole dessert up a bit.

Warm and topped with a bit of whipped cream with a hot cup of coffee on the side ... perfect ending. SB was satisfied and so were our friends, Vicki and Lynda.



Bread Pudding - printer friendly

Bread Pudding


Ingredients:

2 ciabatta rolls, cut into ‘fingers’
butter
3 eggs
3 c. milk
2 tbsp. spiced rum
½ c. brown sugar
1 tbsp. lemon zest
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. currants

Making the Bread Pudding:

1. Pre-heat oven to 325° F. and butter a small casserole dish.

2. Slice the ciabatta rolls into ‘fingers’ and butter them on one side.

3. Lay one of the rolls’ ‘fingers’ into the bottom of the casserole.

4. Arrange the currants over the layer.

5. Place the second rolls’ ‘fingers’ on top.

6. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, rum, cinnamon, lemon zest, and brown sugar.

7. Beat until frothy.

8. Drizzle the egg mixture over the bread ‘fingers’ making sure to soak all the top layer well.

9. Sprinkle the top with some cinnamon and sugar.

10. Set the pudding aside for 15 minutes.

11. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes until browned on top.

12. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.