23 November 2010

Easy Scalloped Potatoes - A Break From the Turkey


Today, I heard from Max. It's been a while since I've received a comment from him. This is the first time that I have had a request, though. So... an easy and yummy potato dish for you, Max! Add it to your basics! And have a wonderful weekend with your folks!

Max is getting a recipe based on what I have in my fridge ... I, too, have some stress for this Thanksgiving weekend! My problem is how to make room in the fridge for all the ingredients for our Thanksgiving feast. I cleaned my fridge this morning and have decided to 'make do' with what I have in the fridge and the pantry for meals until I shop for the feast ingredients. So ham steaks, the last of a block of Cheddar, and some broccoli and cauliflower to round out dinner ... there's a bit more room for the feast fare!

So, Max! Easy and potatoes coming your way!





Easy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients:

6-8 medium and large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly ( about 1/8 inch thick)
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
1 lb. ham steaks, thin rind trimmed from outer edges and cut into bite-sized pieces
8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thickness
3 tbsp. butter
3-4 tbsp. flour
black pepper
approximately 2 c. whole milk

Making the Dish:

1. Grease ( be generous) a 2 quart covered casserole well and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.

2. Prepare the potatoes, onions, ham, and cheese.

3. Pour a small amount of milk into the bottom of the casserole and place a layer of potatoes around the bottom of the casserole. When you look at your piles of ingredients, think in terms of three layers of potatoes, cheese, ham,  and onions. That will help you 'divvy them out' accordingly, okay?

4. Layer on a bed of onions, then ham, then cheese.

5. Dot half the butter over this layer and sprinkle half the flour.

6. Layer more potatoes, onions, ham, and cheese. Dot the second half of the butter and sprinkle the second half flour.

7. Drizzle most of the milk around and down through these layers, reserving some milk for the top of the casserole.

8. Finish layering the onions and ham. Top the casserole with the last of the potatoes and cheese. Drizzle the last of the milk to wet the top surface. Sprinkle liberally with black pepper.

9. Grease the inner cover of the casserole and place it  closely on the casserole dish. Place the casserole dish on a cookie sheet that you have lined with tin foil ( believe me, this will save the oven from spatters.!).

10. Bake for approximately 1 hour in a 375 degree F. oven. After one hour, remove the cover and broil the surface for a few minutes to a golden crusty bubbly crunch.

11. Serve hot from the oven. 

6 comments:

  1. Sprout Sara23/11/10 1:24 PM

    FINALLY! This is the recipe I was trying to make when I made the other potato gratin that's in the family cookbook. Totally printing this one out now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Susan - I HAVE to make this for X'mas and I am so happy to have a recipe this week unrelated to pumpkins and cranberries :)

    I cannot let the holidays begin without sharing warm wishes to you and yours!

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING

    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Devaki - You are so dear, Devaki! I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season, too! I look forward to seeing more of your creativity at Weave a Thousand Flavors in the New Year! Cheers, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. potatoes and ham... are there two finer words (other than 'happy thanksgiving') all the best x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo delicious looking. Last year my sisters and niece raised pigs and I was lucky enough to get one. Most of him is wrapped nicely in my freezer. I am gong to make this yummy recipe with my delicious ham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Scalloped potatoes and ham are one of my favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.