Here, we have Springtime heaven! What would you do to have some of this sweetness?
Here, we have your basic strawberries, freshly picked and spun clean while the shortcakes bake.
Here, we have one bowl of perfect berries and a smaller bowl of less than perfect berries.
2. c. all-purpose flour
1 envelope vanilla sugar
1 ½ tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. butter
¾ c. milk
Making the Shortcakes:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 450° F.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and add the butter. Use two knives to cut the butter into small ‘pebbles’ until the dry mix resembles meal.
3. Add the milk and mix with a spoon just until combined.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead quickly a dozen or so times until the dough forms a uniform ball.
5. Press out to ¾ -inch thickness and cut into circles, using a glass or doughnut cutter.
6. Place the circles on an ungreased sheet just a small space away from each other.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 12 – 13 minutes until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and use immediately or bag when still warm and seal to keep them moist. Use them the same day you make them … one should only eat perfect shortcakes!
For strawberry shortcake: Wash and spin dry 1 quart of berries. Smash one cup and add 2 tbsp. sugar. Stir and set aside. Halve the other 3 cups and then add the macerating berries. Prepare whipped cream or thaw frozen prepared whipped cream. Halve a warm shortcake and butter it, place strawberries on the one half, cover with the second, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a couple more berries and serve.